Monday, May 22, 2006

Someone Give David Stern a Cookie

Anyone who's followed my broadcast career with WODU Radio in the past four years knows of my distaste with regards to the NBA. I love college basketball; in fact, from October until April, I practically live the stuff. But by and large, when it comes to the professional game, I just can't seem to care.

I follow closely enough so I can talk about it on-air if need be, but outside of that, the consequences of Kobe Bryant scoring 81 points in a game or whether or not Kevin Garnett is going to stay in Minnesota are really inconsequential to me.

But this year, I find myself amazingly drawn to the NBA playoffs. Not quite enough to actually sit down and watch entire games, but enough to watch portions of games, form opinions on each series, and I've even gone so far as to find teams that I actually want to win in the postseason.

I realize the NBA playoffs take about as long as the NASCAR Nextel Cup season, but for some reason, that doesn't bother me this year.

Maybe it's because the Cleveland Cavaliers made the playoffs this year. Despite my distaste for the Association, I do enjoy being a witness. LeBron James is by far my favorite basketball player--hell, probably my favorite athlete--and I'm sure my interest in this year's NBA postseason has something to do with his inclusion. It's been a joy watching King James mature before us, leading his team past the Wizards in a thrilling first round before flirting with the impossible--eliminating the mighty (and awful cocky) Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference Semifinals.

LeBron faced many questions leading into the playoffs, and with two triple-doubles and a playoff scoring average nearly on par with his regular season numbers, I think it's safe to say he delivered on all fronts.

Then again, maybe there's intrigue in said Pistons, how they'll do under first-year head coach Flip Saunders. Larry Brown led this team to back-to-back Finals appearances, and now the Pistons find themselves run by a guy who's done great in the regular season, but Flip has floundered more than once in the postseason.

Just ask Garnett.

Or what about the Miami Heat? Pat Riley, AKA the Oilslick (thank you, Jim Rome), totally overhauled a team that was one Dwyane Wade injury away from playing the Spurs in the Finals last year before taking over as head coach for Ron Jeremy--I mean, Stan Van Gundy. Can Shaq, D-Wade, and the cast of characters get it done, or did Riley implode an already good thing?

Or perhaps it's the fascination that was Mavericks-Spurs. Would San Antonio hold serve and live on to defend its title from a year ago? Would Mark Cuban's boys finally get over that hump and dethrone the champs? Avery Johnson has these boys playing some defense (for once), and it was finally enough to get the Mavericks to the Western Conference Finals for the first time in franchise history (on the night of this posting, Dallas beat San Antonio 119-111 in Game 7).

Simply put, the NBA playoffs this year have drama. Not that it hasn't in years past, but I don't remember the last time the playoffs were dramatic from the very beginning. The first round is usually boring and way too long (seven games in the first round? A bit much, guys; cut it down to five), but the drama more than made up for it this year.

LeBron's emergence. Kobe's dominance and then choke-job. Steve Nash stating his case for his second straight MVP, despite an apparent injury. Shaq looking for his first title without Kobe or Phil. The Mavs finally getting over that hump.

The fact that we're gonna crown a new NBA champion next month.

The excitement built from day one, and it's stayed. It's not quite enough to make me an NBA fan, but it was nice to know that my interest in basketball didn't go into hibernation the moment George Mason lost to Florida in the Final Four.

So kudos to the NBA for not boring me to death this spring. But if I may suggest one thing: next year, try to cut down on the crotch punching and grabbing. I really don't need to see grown men all up in each other's business...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home